Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekend Review: Flying Pig 10K and 5K Recap

Saturday: Flying Pig 10K and 5K
Sunday: Flying Pig Half Marathon

This weekend FLEW by. Pun totally intended.
Saturday morning I was up bright and early for the 10K and 5K Flying Pig events.

Thankfully the 10K was first at 8:00 a.m. followed by the 5K at 10:00 a.m.

2 bibs!
I met up with Mary pre race. She was smart enough to think ahead and know that it would be easier to pace ourselves together. We wanted to hold back on Saturday so we'd still have legs left for Sunday's half marathon.

Post 10K, Pre 5K!
The 10K did the 3 bridges through downtown, KY and then back to Cincinnati.
We did our best at holding back, thankfully Mary was much more in tune to it than I was.
I have a problem and it is SO hard for me to not race when I am in a race.
We finished the 10K in 56:30

The hard part came next - waiting for the 5K!
The first 20-10 minutes of waiting wasn't too bad, but then my legs started feeling tired.
I can't imagine how much harder it would have been to wait had we gone all out in the 10K. Not only would it have been a longer wait, but my muscles would have been a lot more sore and more likely to cramp.
Post 5K. 9.3 miles down, 13.1 to go!
It felt much easier to hold back during the 5K than it did during the 10K. I think partially because the course was so crowded, but also since we had already run one race that morning.  The course stayed in downtown Cincy and honestly went by pretty quickly.

I think I am so used to racing 5Ks when I do them (and usually hating every second of them) that this seemed so much easier and more relaxed and therefore faster. It did feel extremely odd to not sprint to the finish line in both races!

We finished the 5K in 30:23. Quite possibly my slowest 5K ever - and I am very proud of it!


After the races HTB and I headed to Red Robin for some lovely refueling! 
Chicken sandwich with guac, yes please!! I earned it!

Saturday afternoon I got to meet my friend's newest baby, Evan and visit his one year old brother too. I think she is a saint - 2 boys, born on the same day, exactly a year apart!

 I was so thrown off by the fact that I locked my keys in my car at her house that I didn't get any pictures of me holding him. :(

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!
Coming tomorrow: Flying Pig Half Marathon Recap!

No comments:

Post a Comment